AHAR


Ahar, refers to our diet and wellness. What we eat, When we eat and How much we eat.
The food that we eat depends upon our upbringing, parents, geographical location, weather and habits.
A balanced diet with sufficient carbs, proteins and fats are necessary for the body. There are many diets that have been adopted all over the world to lose weight, gain muscle and so on but maintaining a wholesome and proper diet is a long term solution.
  1. Eat what is seasonal, regional, available and affordable.
  2. Eat 4-5 times a day - awareness about how much you eat and why you're eating is very important. We don't listen to our body and tend to overeat most of the time. Therefore, plan your meals to avoid excessive eating habits which result in weight gain, bloating and re-flux. This eventually makes us feel lethargic and low on energy.
  3. Eat in moderation - we all have cravings and I believe in enjoying a guilt- free ice cream once in a while but be smart and make alternative choices when it comes to cheat meals or eating out.


For example - I generally have a salad before eating out at night, so I tend to eat less and avoid feeling dejected the next day.
I look out for healthier options on the menu, switch fried with grilled or roasted, maida with whole wheat or multigrain, butter or processed cheese with ghee and try to include more veggies in my meal.


Food has an impact on our personality and behavior. According to Ayurveda, it is divided into 3 groups.


Sattvic
Keeps the mind calm and food that is easily digestible.
Grains, pulses, milk, fruits and vegetables.
Boiled Potato


Rajasic
Food which is spicy, generates heat and has excessive sugar.
Fried Potato


Tamasic
Typically makes you lazy and dull.
Meat and processed food
French fries


Ever wondered why a burger with extra cheese and french fries made you feel lazy and bloated but a katori (small bowl) of dal khichdi with ghee and roasted papad did not?
These situations are examples of how common sense is not so common anymore. We know that junk and processed food is unhealthy and fattening but still the ignorance about its long term effect on our body prevails.


Why does this happen?


Most of us are habituated to our traditional food, way of preparation and daily routines. We develop habits over a period of time which are due to our professional and personal lives. We consume junk food on a daily basis from chakna, chivda, biscuits and chips to literally anything that we see when we get hungry. We eat at odd times, skip meals and end up binging on food to curb our hunger pangs. We eat mindlessly even when we are not hungry and mostly lack awareness about our habits.
Peer pressure and company of our friends plays a big role in developing a habit. I have realized that it takes conscious effort and resistance to say NO. Be strong and stubborn about your health and habits because we are responsible for the effects that a habit causes to our body. We get carried away and take things casually till we end up with a problem, sickness or a major disease.


How do we eat our food?


Avoid watching TV while eating so that you chew your food properly and focus on the food that you eat. I have experienced this myself that sitting cross legged while eating helps in faster digestion and helps you feel light after a meal.
I maintain small portions by using smaller plates and bowls. Also making small pieces of your fruits and rotis helps in controlling your intake.
I eat my dinner before 7:30 or 8 so that I have at least 2-3 hours of gap before I go to sleep.

Eat your food with a sense of gratitude instead of cribbing or complaining about it.
According to the yoga philosophy, when we eat our food it is said to be an offering to God, thanking him for the food that we have. For our 3 major meals, ½ of the stomach should be filled with food, ¼ by water and ¼ has to be left empty.
Water consumption depends upon person to person and there's no need to strictly follow the 3 liters per day rule. You should be able to understand how much water you need in a day.
Typically, start your day with a glass of water or lemon water in the morning and have water after 30-45 minutes of finishing your 3 major meals.


So, following a sattvic ahar makes us happy, calm and balanced as compared to a rajasic/tamasic ahar. Though due to our preferences, lifestyle and habits it is not possible to start following a sattvic diet overnight but we can consciously reduce rajasic/tamasic food to experience its benefits.


There are certain things that I follow as a part of my daily routine,


  1. Starting my day with a fruit and a glass of water. (generally I prefer to have a banana) which is also my pre-workout meal.
  2. I never skip breakfast and it's my favorite meal of the day.
  3. I have Curd/Dahi daily with my lunch or as a mid morning snack.
  4. Early to bed and early to rise, following this pattern has increased my energy levels, motivated me to work for longer hours and be productive. I don't compromise on my sleep at all.
  5. I avoid fruit or vegetable juices and prefer eating a whole fruit instead. (except sugarcane juice)
  6. I eat dry fruits and nuts (unsalted) as snacks instead of munching on chips and chocolates.
  7. I don't have any aerated/fizzy drinks, packed juices/shakes or cold pressed juices.
  8. I include natural sweeteners and reduce my sugar intake - i.e dates, raisins, honey, and fruits in my diet.
  9. Salads have always been a part of my meals, it continues to be so.
  10. Lastly I enjoy my food and feel good about eating it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts